899 Squadron to HMS Eagle November 1966 to October 1968 6th Commission
- November 1966; HMS Eagle is in dry-dock in Plymouth, for refit and installation of "DAX" arrestor-gear; Ships Company aboard HMS Centaur, 899 Squadron disembarked at RNAS Yeovilton.
- 6th April 1967; HMS Eagle re-commissions; Captain JCY Roxburgh in command.
- 8th April 1967; HMS Eagle sails for sea-trials, but is seriously damaged by fire, and returns to dry-dock for repairs.
- 4th May 1967; change of command to Captain John E Pope.
- 27th May 1967 Trials, work-up and ORI (899 Sqn embarked), Moray Firth and Brawdy (SW Wales) areas.
- July, 1967; visit to Boston, USA, cancelled
- 15th August 1967; HMS Eagle departs Plymouth for Cape Town.
- 8th-14th Sept 1967; at Cape Town.
- 26th Sept 1967; HMS Eagle enters lagoon at Addu Atoll (RAF GAN) to recover damaged Sea Vixen (no casualties)
- 6th October 1967; HMS Eagle in Singapore; 899 disembark to RAF Changi
- 23rd Oct 1967; HMS Eagle departs Singapore for Aden; continuously at sea until 22nd December 1967. Cover for Aden withdrawal.
- 23rd Dec 1967; HMS Eagle berthed in Singapore dockyard with defective propeller; 899 Squadron disembarked at RAF Changi.
- Late January 1968; HMS Eagle departs Singapore for Fremantle: Flyex’s off Penang, and "Exercise Partner" with RAN and RNZN near Gan.
- 12th Feb 1968; HMS Eagle at Fremantle, WA (Perth); 899 Sqdn disembarked to RAAF Pearce.
- 27th Feb 1968; HMS Eagle departs Fremantle for Hong Kong, via Cocos Islands and Palau Tioman.
- 22nd March 1968; HMS Eagle at Hong Kong; 899 Sqdn remain embarked.
- 6th April 1968; HMS Eagle departs Hong Kong for unspecified location, due to situation in Aden. Mail is censored, and after many weeks, morale suffers.
- 9th April 1968. Sea Vixen Lost. Both crewmen killed. ID 26.
- 31st May 1968; after 8 weeks at sea, HMS Eagle enters Cape Town for 4-day visit.
- 4th June 1968; HMS Eagle departs Cape Town for Plymouth, via Gibraltar (one day stopover).
- 17th June 1968; Squadrons fly off for home bases (899 Sqn to RNAS Yeovilton).
- 18th June 1968; HMS Eagle arrives at Devonport.
- 24th July 1968. Sea Vixen Lost. Both crewmen killed. ID 27. (899 Sqn disembarked at RNAS Yeovilton)
- 23rd August 1968; HMS Eagle departs Devonport for "Exercise Silver Tower” in Arctic waters; 899 embark in Moray Firth; ship anchors off RNAS Lossiemouth. Late September 1968; HMS Eagle arrives at Edinburgh for 4-day visit in company with carrier HMCS Bonaventure (Canada)
- 2nd October 1968: Squadrons, including 899, depart for home bases.
- 3rd October 1968; HMS Eagle enters Plymouth Sound; 6th commission ends December 1968; HMS Eagle in dry-dock, ship’s company in HMS Drake barracks
|Facts & figures for 6th Commission
|Days away from home port||308
|Days at sea||220
|Distance travelled||112,000 miles
|Fuel oil consumed||144,000 tons
Archive of REM(A) Roger Mills, Ship's Company (Air Engineering Department) HMS Eagle 1966-69