890 Sqn to HMS Hermes 1959 to 1961. 1st Commission.
- HMS Hermes. 1st Commission 1959 to 1961.
- Launched by Mrs Churchill 16th February 1953 and was laid up until 1957 when re construction started again
- May 1959 sailed to Southampton partially completed for Dry Docking, thence Contractors’ Sea trials in the Clyde and thence to Barrow in Furness
- Sailed from the builders yard of Vickers at Barrow in Furness 1st November 1959
- Commanded by Captain David S. Tibbits DSC RN
- On completion Hermes was accepted at a simple flight deck ceremony in Portsmouth 18th November 1959 after which the Red Ensign was hauled down and the White Ensign was raised. Berthed for the first time in her home port of Portsmouth at Pitch House Jetty
- 25th November 1959, Commissioning Ceremony. Lady Power presides
- 26th November 1959 sail for shake down trials
- 30th November 1959 enter Gibraltar and berthed at South Mole
- 4th December 1959 set sail for Portland
- 890 Squadron Sea Vixens newly formed and 803 Sqn Scimitars (ex HMS Victorious) embarked for this commission
- 890 Sqn Commissions ist February 1960 at RNAS Yeovilton
- Information Required for first commission
- November 1961. 890 Sqn embarks HMS Ark Royal
- Web Streaming Video. 890 Sqn. HMS Hermes1960. Also 803 Sqn Scimitars.
or download original 890 Sqn. HMS Hermes. 1960. 44mb high quality colour .flv
- HMS Hermes recommissions 24th April 1962 with 892 Sqn as resident Sea Vixen Squadron
under construction February 2011