HMS Victorious Initial Deck Trials 700Y. The wire strop can be seen separating.
- IFTU. Intensive Flying Trials Unit. Formed in October 1958, with eight aircraft Sea Vixen Mk 1. included XJ482, 484, 486, 489, 490 and later XJ491
- RNAS Yeovilton. Somerset. England.
- Disbanded approximately1960 to form 892 Naval Air Squadron.
- 1st C.O. was Cdr. Malcolm Petrie RN.
- Senior Observer Lt. Cdr. Jack Carter.
The Bowsprings lifting the arrester gear can be seen, XJ 490 lands on. All archive Lt (O) Bill Hart RN
- Three pilots were assigned to carry out the initial Night Deck landing Trials, one of whom was Lt Jack "Bovey" Cary RN.
Contributors: Lt Jack "Bovey" Cary RN.